An integral part of the Eat Fat Lose Fat eating plan is taking coconut oil prior to every meal, even for the healthy recovery and everyday gourmet (maintenance) plans. For many people, this can get old really fast. Or sometimes people have a problem getting started taking it at all. When you’re not used to the taste of coconut oil sometimes it can be hard to get used to. That leads me to the question…
How Do You Take your Coconut Oil?
Here are the tips that we’ve come up with so far… see below for the coolest method that actually has a recipe.
- melted in tea or coffee (be careful because the oil will be less hot than the liquid beneath it!)
- in chunks off of a spoon
- in a morning smoothie
- softened and mixed with a bit of kefir or yogurt
- How do YOU take your coconut oil before meals? Please let us know in the comments…
A Yummy Way to take Coconut Oil
EFLF readers Mary and “homespungirl” reminded us that we can take our coconut oil as “candies”… mixed with cocoa and a sweetener, to make it more palatable or even just when you’re sick of taking your oil in other ways. Because of her suggestion, I decided to alter the coconut candies recipe in the Eat Fat Lose Fat book. I made the recipe with a lot less sweetener, with the goal of having the oil sweet and tasty enough to want to eat it but not quite as sweet and caloric as candy. It worked… these are yummy and easy to eat. I also find that the combination of cocoa, sweetener, coconut oil and sea salt curbs my hunger a lot more than just the plain oil does. In my case, I like to take it before dinner because its the hardest meal for me not to overeat at.
Tips for making Coconut Oil Candies
- Make a batch at the beginning of the week and before 1 of your meals every day, take the candy. For the other two meals, take coconut oil in other ways.
- These are yummy but they’re hard to overeat since they are only lightly sweetened and mostly coconut oil, so are extremely satisfying.
- Cover these candies with dessicated coconut or even crushed almonds to make them fancier “truffles”.
Coconut Oil “Fat Bombs”
Makes about 18 candies
- 1 cup softened cold pressed virgin coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 Tablespoons raw honey, grade B maple syrup –OR– a pinch of stevia
- 1/2 teaspoon celtic sea salt
- 2-4 Tablespoons organic unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 T almond butter or other nut butter (optional)
- optional – unsweetened dessicated coconut (for rolling or sprinkling)
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl or food processor until mixture is smooth. Drop by the tablespoon onto waxed or parchment paper, or into the dessicated coconut. Refrigerate until the candies are solid, then store in a covered container in the fridge.PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.