Here it is… the Holy Grail of low carb pizza crusts! I bow down to you my cheesy, almond flour disc of goodness! If you prefer a chewy/crispy gluten free crust, read on for a great recipe… no actually TWO recipes, because I experimented with an even lower carb almond flour version of the Holy Grail, with great results! You can definitely fool the wheat eaters in your life with this recipe… it tastes amazingly like the real thing.
I adapted the two low carb pizza recipes from Cooky’s Creations Holy Grail Low Carb Pizza Crust. I have made a few ingredient and cooking process changes. Please note that the list of ingredients below is in two columns: the first column on the left is for the original “Holy Grail” crust, the 2nd column on the right is for the lower carb version that I created using psyllium husk powder. Both came out VERY well but I admit that (of course) I like the slightly higher carb one better, but there’s not that much discernible difference. But I would definitely make the lower carb again, especially if I was low on almond flour.
For a comparison of all of the low carb, grain free pizza crusts that I have tried, please see the Low Carb Pizza Summary Post. It’s super geeky!!
Almond Meal / Cheese Crust
Almond Meal / Psyllium / Cheese Crust
|1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded mozzarella and cheddar mix (or just mozzarella)||1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded mozzarella and cheddar mix (or just mozzarella)|
|2 T full fat cream cheese||2 T full fat cream cheese|
|2 T grated parmesan cheese (not in the shaker can)||2 T grated parmesan cheese (not in the shaker can)|
|3/4 cup almond flour / meal + few Tablespoons more for forming the 'dough'||1/3 cup almond flour|
|1 egg||2 T psyllium husk powder|
|1 T dried Italian seasoning||1 egg|
|1/2 tsp salt||1 T dried Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to your Broil setting. Put the shredded mozzarella / cheddar cheese (or use just mozz) into a medium bowl and heat in oven or microwave until melted, but not browned (this just takes a few minutes in the oven, probably 30 seconds in the microwave). Here’s what it looks like when melted. It will come away from the sides of the bowl pretty well:
2. When the cheese is cool enough to handle but still warm, dump all of the rest of the crust ingredients in the bowl with it. NOTE: if you’re doing the lower carb version with psyllium, sprinkle that in as evenly as you can when you’re mixing or it will gum up.
3. Mix all ingredients together with your hands and knead the mozz cheese in. Really knead it in and break up the melted mozz bits. It won’t be perfect and that’s ok. It will be quite a soft ‘dough’ and very sticky. Form into a ball as best as you can, with the assistance of a bit more almond flour if needed.
4. Once you have the ‘dough’ into a ball, press it onto a piece of well-greased parchment paper (NOT wax paper), or a silpat liner, on a baking / cookie sheet. Press the dough into a 12 inch round with your fingers, slightly wetting your fingers/hand if the cheese dough keeps sticking to you. Make sure there are no holes.
5. Broil in the oven for 5 minutes or until the top is completely uniform brown (like below). NOTE: I had the best results when the pizza was 7 inches from the heating elements in my oven. Don’t put it closer than that or the edges will burn.
6. After the crust broils for 5 minutes, take it out of the oven, and using another pan or silpat liner, flip the crust over so that the browned top is now the bottom of the crust.
7. Bake the other side of the crust for an additional 5 minutes or until it’s completely brown.
9. Cool for 5-10 minutes before cutting with a pizza cutter. If you cut into 8 equal servings, 2 slices (1/4 of the pizza) is one serving.
Nutrition Information for Original Holy Grail Crust:
for 2 slices (1/4 of the pizza) – CRUST ONLY:
- Net carbs: 4.2 g
- Carbs: 6.4 g
- Fiber: 2.2 g
- Protein: 18.2 g
- Fat: 23.7 g
- Calories: 294
Nutrition Information for Lower Carb Holy Grail Crust (w/ Psyllium):
for 2 slices (1/4 of the pizza) – CRUST ONLY:
- Net carbs: 3.4 g
- Carbs: 7.8 g
- Fiber: 4.4 g
- Protein: 15.5 g
- Fat: 17.6 g
- Calories: 240.8
Which one have you tried? How did you like it? Please let us know in the comments!
This post is part of Holistic Squid’s Party Wave Wednesday for 8/7/13PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.