I'm always in search for ways to eat more veggies, especially in the winter time. This “salad” was surprising to me… a natural sweetness combined with the saltiness of the bacon. It's a super simple side dish to prepare, and is even guest-worthy! You can top it with bleu cheese to make it more traditional ‘wedge' or leave it off for a dairy-free paleo side dish treat!
Below you can see what it looked like prior to the oven and after cooking. Really you can eat it as it comes out of the oven, or add any number of toppings such as chopped fresh tomatoes, blue cheese or other crumbly white cheese. It would also taste amazing with just a tiny drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
- ½ medium head of green cabbage
- 1 T olive oil or coconut oil
- 6 slices of uncooked bacon, chopped
- ¼ minced onion
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Oil a 18x13 inch sheet pan (with sides).
- Cut cabbage into ¼ to ½ inch wedges. It's ok if it's not perfect, but the thin parts will be more crispy.
- Top the cabbage with a little salt (omit if your bacon is very salty), pepper, and divide the minced onion between the slices.
- Chop bacon into bite-sized pieces and top the sliced cabbage evenly.
- Place in oven and cook for 40 minutes. You may want to switch the setting to 'broil' for the last 10 minutes (watch it closely!) if you don't feel it's brown enough.
- Plate the "salad" and top with toppings... serve hot or warm.
Please note that nutrition info is without the optional toppings, only cabbage, bacon, onion and oil for pan