I got the idea to “keto-ize” this super easy chocolate mousse from a recipe that I saw linked from the Lifehacker site. This is a great dessert for a ketogenic diet because it stretches 1 stevia sweetened chocolate bar into 3 really nice sized satisfying servings. Also you don't really need any additional sweetener, although you could add more if you wanted to. Sometimes, simpler can be better! I made this recipe as-is and the result was fabulous, barely sweet with my favorite brand of stevia sweetened chocolate. The fina sugar free dessert is both dense and fluffy, which is a very pleasing combination!
Best yet, this dessert is only 4.5 net grams of carbs per serving, which are from the sugar alcohols. I eat 1/3 of this recipe at a time and it does not kick me out of ketosis. Try it with some marcona almond slivers and celtic sea salt sprinkled on the final product, it's amazing!
- 85 - 100 grams stevia sweetened dark chocolate
- 4 eggs
- Separate the eggs into yolks and put the whites in a big bowel
- In the meantime break up the chocolate into a bowl and microwave it or heat in the toaster oven.
- Whip up the egg whites with a mixer until they form soft peaks
- Take out the melted chocolate and stir once to combine. Now you're ready to combine all of the ingredients!
- Dump the egg yolks into the chocolate and stir immediately. Don't let the egg yolks sit in the hot chocolate or it could cook them. The chocolate will get a little stiffer and glossier with the addition of the egg yolks:
- Now you're ready to combine the egg whites and the chocolate. Dump the chocolate into the egg whites and just use your mixer to combine. No need to fold in the chocolate gently (although you can if you want to):
- Pour the mousse into 2 or 3 dessert bowls, chill until completely cold: