These cabbage steaks are perfect for a light keto dinner: they are healthy, low carb, vegan, gluten-free, and easy to make. It takes less than 30 minutes to make the cabbage steaks, and you can prepare them whichever way you prefer—baked, grilled, or fried.
Since cabbage is low in carbohydrates and calories, it can be used to boost your daily veggie intake. And believe it or not, you’ll enjoy these keto roasted cabbage steaks even if cabbage is not the first thing that pops into your mind when you think of dinner.
You can keep these keto cabbage steaks just as simple as I did or take them to the next level with some additional ingredients. Either way, they are insanely delicious.
Preparing the Cabbage
It’s no secret that you’ll need to spend a few minutes preparing the cabbage before cooking it. The most important part of the process is choosing the right cabbage—it should be a medium-sized one, somewhere around 6-7 inches in width. Also, the heavier the cabbage, the better. This will ensure that the leaves won’t fall apart when cutting the cabbage into steak slices.
Before slicing the cabbage, make sure to remove any dirty or loose leaves. Once you’ve done that, you can slice it. You should get eight cabbage steaks from 1 cabbage.
There are three ways you can make these keto cabbage steaks. My personal favorite method is cooking them in the oven since you can make all of the eight steaks at once, and there is no need to stay near the oven the whole time the steaks are being cooked.
Here’s how to make keto cabbage steaks:
1. Oven. So, let’s start with my favorite cooking method for these cabbage steaks, which is the oven. You’ll need to preheat it to 400 F and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Then prepare the oil mixture, place the cabbage slices on the tray, brush in the mixture, and bake them for 25-30 minutes.
2. Air Fryer. Another cooking method that you can try is the air fryer. You’ll need to cook the cabbage steaks in an Air Fryer preheated to 375 F for 15-20 minutes. This method is best when you’re making just one or two cabbage steaks.
3. Frying pan. Of course, you can also fry the cabbage steaks on a pan. I’ve noticed that this cooking method takes more time and effort. But, if you choose to cook the cabbage steaks this way, you’ll need to oil the steaks with the oil mixture and then fry them on each side for about 10-15 minutes over low heat.
4. Grill. The last method that you can try is to cook the cabbage steaks on the grill. Simply do the same as the previous two cooking methods, then place the cabbage steaks on the grill. You should grill them for about 5 minutes on each side. Also, make sure that you’ve set the heat to medium. Personally, I rarely use this method since it’s quite difficult to flip the steaks. Almost every time I do this, the steaks fall apart.
Also, keep in mind that the overall time needed to cook the keto cabbage steaks depends on how thick they are and whether you prefer them to be soft or still a bit crunchy. Make sure to keep an eye on them when cooking for the first time so you can adjust the cooking time according to your preferences.
There are a few keto cabbage steaks recipe variations that you can try. I’ve already tasted all of them since my family and I have the steaks quite frequently. So, here’s what you can try adding to enhance your cabbage steaks with more flavor:
- Grated parmesan
- Mozzarella cheese
- Chopped bacon or ham
- Fresh parsley
- Tahini sauce
I prefer to keep things simple when it comes to cooking cabbage steaks, and instead of adding anything else to the original recipe, I just choose to serve the steaks with some meat over them.
If you have any cabbage steak leftovers, you should keep them wrapped up in some food wrap in your refrigerator. You can store them in such a way for 3-4 days.
You can serve the steaks either directly from the fridge or reheated in the microwave. But, as I’ve noticed, they taste best when warm, so I prefer reheating them in the microwave for a minute or two before serving.
As I just noted, I prefer to serve these keto cabbage steaks with some meat either on the side or over them. Here are my favorite options:
Furthermore, these keto cabbage steaks taste perfectly with salmon or tuna. It goes especially well with some of the one-pot tuna casserole.
Keto Roasted Cabbage Steaks
- 1 head cabbage
- 4 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and line a baking tray with a piece of parchment paper.
- Cut the cabbage into 3-inch thick slices. You should get eight slices.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Place the cabbage slices on the baking tray. Then, using a pastry brush, evenly spread the oil mixture over each cabbage slice.
- Bake the cabbage steaks for about 25-30 minutes or until crispy on the edges.