I didn’t even know what a Hail Merry tart was until I was researching a dairy free dessert to make for my daughter, who cannot tolerate gluten, dairy or eggs. Apparently these tarts are sold in stores in individual servings, but are sweetened with honey. Well I also wanted to be able to eat this dessert along with my daughter, so here is a version that is paleo, keto, vegan, low carb, gluten free, dairy free, egg free, contains no soy and most important of all, is completely delicious!
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 cup dessicated coconut flakes (fine)
- 1 T sugar equivalent your sweetener of choice (Stevia, Swerve or Ideal) - if you're paleo use raw honey or grade B maple syrup
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 T melted ghee (or melted coconut oil)
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked a minimum of 1 hour and then drained
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ⅓ cup full fat coconut milk or other full fat nut milk
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup sugar equivalent of your sweetener of choice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Grated zest of 1-2 lemons
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- In a medium bowl, combine the crust ingredients and mix well.
- Press into the bottom of a pie plate or springform pan. Or you can divide the crust equally into 8 small ramekins if you want individual tarts.
- In a food processor or blender, add all of the filling ingredients and process until it has a smooth texture (this takes multiple minutes usually, unless you have a Vitamix).
- Taste and add more lemon juice or sweetener if needed.
- Pour into your pan or ramekins. If you have extra filling, it's yummy just to eat as a pudding!
- Refrigerate until completely set. Slice pieces with a hot knife.
Nutrition info does NOT include sweetener, since they all differ in carb counts
Recipe w/o sweetener = Net carbs of 6 grams per 1 slice
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.