These crispy and garlicky air-fried Brussels sprouts are an incredibly delicious keto side dish. If you don’t have an air fryer, you can roast them in the oven, and they will be just as tasty. In half an hour, you’ll have the perfect side dish ready to serve with almost anything for a filling lunch or dinner.
You can experiment with the herbs and spices you add to the Brussels sprouts to get a different taste every time. This side dish has a place on our dinner table once or even twice a week. Everyone, even my husband, who always chooses meat over veggies, enjoys these garlic Brussels sprouts.
The best thing that I like about these air-fried Brussels sprouts is that they don’t take much of my time to prepare. I don’t have a lot of free time, so I love making this keto side dish as it only takes about 10 minutes to prep them. After that, I leave it to my air fryer to finish cooking them.
Tips for Making Air Fried Brussels Sprouts
There’s nothing complicated in cooking these keto Brussels sprouts. All you need is a good air fryer and the Brussels sprouts. I have a Ninja Air Fryer, which I am very satisfied with. It’s the perfect size, and it works great. I can air fry 1 lb of Brussels sprouts in one go without having to divide them into portions.
Here are some tips that may help you make the low-carb Brussels sprouts perfectly:
- Prep the Brussels sprouts. Remove the stems and the Brussels sprouts' outside leaves, then cut each of them in half lengthwise.
- If you’re using frozen Brussels sprouts, you should let them thaw before cooking in the air fryer.
- Spray the air fryer basket with some oil so that the Brussels sprouts won’t stick to it.
- Check up on the sprouts from time to time to ensure that they don’t burn. It took me about 20 minutes to cook them, but you may need more or less depending on the size of the Brussels sprouts and whether you used fresh or frozen.
- Add the soy sauce after the Brussels sprouts are cooked. This step doubles the taste of this keto side dish.
Depending on your preferences, you can experiment with the flavor of these air fryer Brussels sprouts. Just make sure that you add low-carb ingredients so that the end result stays as low-carb as possible.
Here are a few of my favorites:
- Spicy air fryer Brussels sprouts. I have a thing for spicy food. I even prefer my veggies topped off with something like paprika, pepper flakes, or Cayenne pepper. The same applies to these keto Brussels sprouts.
- Brussels sprouts loaded with herbs. It’s no secret that Brussels sprouts go well with Italian seasonings. You can add almost anything, including dried basil, oregano, or rosemary.
- Pork rind-crusted Brussels sprouts. In this recipe, I used almond flour instead of the traditional bread crumbs since it is a better low-carb option. But if you prefer, you can also use pork rinds.
- Cheesy Brussels sprouts. This is another of my favorite flavors for these Brussels sprouts. Simply melt some cheese on a skillet, add some heavy cream, and pour the sauce over the air fryer Brussels sprouts.
How to Serve the Brussels Sprouts
Any meaty dish will taste perfectly with these air fryer Brussels sprouts. Here are some of my favorites:
Of course, you can always add sauce to go with the Brussels sprouts. I do recommend trying one of Tessemae’s Organic Ranches. Any of them will enhance the taste of this low-carb side dish even more. If you prefer chili sauce over the ranch, G Hughes Dipping Sauce is a great option to try.
You can store the keto Brussels sprouts in the fridge for up to 3 days. Whenever you want to serve them, simply throw them into the air fryer for a few minutes to reheat and make them crispy.
If you want to, you can also freeze cooked Brussels sprouts. But, I think there is no reason to do so since thawing and reheating them will take almost the same time as air frying them. Instead, I choose to always store a freshly frozen pack of Brussels sprouts in my freezer. This way, I can air fry them easily when I want to.
Other Low-Carb Air Fryer Recipes to Try
An air fryer is a versatile kitchen appliance that is great for cooking quick and healthy meals. If you want to try out different recipes using your air fryer, here are some delicious keto-friendly meals I recommend:
Keto Air Fryer Garlic Brussels Sprouts
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Prepare the sprouts by trimming their ends, removing the outer leaves, and cutting the sprouts lengthwise in half.
- In a large bowl, combine the Brussels sprouts, olive oil, almond flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Spray the air fryer basket with some oil.
- Transfer everything into the air fryer basket and cook for 20 minutes at 375 F.
- Remove the Brussels sprouts from the air fryer basket and place them into a bowl. Add the soy sauce and mix.
- Before serving, pour melted cheese on top of the Brussels sprouts and season with paprika powder.