These crispy, delicious, healthy, and gluten-free keto cheese shell tacos will become your all-time favorite choice for taco nights. You won’t be able to resist these cheese shells filled with flavorful beef mince, avocado, tomatoes, chopped onions, fresh parsley, and creamy garlic sauce. With this low-carb recipe, you’ll definitely impress all of your friends and family.
You can be sure that you’ll get these keto cheese taco shells perfectly every time! They are incredibly easy to make and will take only 15 minutes of your time. And since one such cheese shell has just 135 cal and almost zero carbs, you can eat them whenever you want to.
If you have kids, then they will love making these keto tacos with you. You’ll have to watch over them as these cheese shells are made in a skillet. Still, it’ll be quite interesting for kids to watch how the cheese melts and turns into a hard cheese taco shell. Also, they’ll have fun choosing the taco stuffing themselves and assembling it together.
How to Make Keto Taco Shells
You’ll need just one main ingredient for these low-carb taco shells—cheese. You can choose any keto-friendly type that you like the most. I usually make the shells out of mozzarella cheese, but here are some other cheese kinds that you can use for this recipe:
- Colby jack
- Swiss cheese
I don’t add any spices or herbs to the cheese taco shells, but if you are looking for more flavor, then you can add almost anything—oregano, chili powder, garlic powder, taco seasoning, or anything you prefer.
To make the cheese shell, you’ll need to buy shredded cheese or grate it by yourself. Then, place a skillet over medium-low heat and evenly spread the cheese over the skillet base. You should cook it until you see that the bottom of the cheese starts to darken.
After that, place the skillet aside for no more than a minute to cool down, and using a spatula, carefully remove the cheese. Place it over a spoon so that it gets the form of a shell. Or put it between the two sections of the oven rack. Let it stay that way for a couple of minutes, and then you can start placing all of the taco filling inside.
Tips For Creating Perfect Cheese Shells
If you’ve never made taco cheese shells before, check out these tips so that you know exactly what to do and how to do it:
- Use more than one skillet to make the shells faster. If you are planning on making a lot of tacos, I recommend using two or three skillets simultaneously to save you time. However, make sure the skillets are all the same size; otherwise, the tacos will be different. I always use an 8-inch non-stick skillet to make these taco cheese shells.
- Set up the spoons before cooking the cheese shells. Simply place two glasses upside down and connect them with a spoon on top. Make sure there’s enough space between the glasses to hang the cheese as it cools. And if you’re making more than one taco shell simultaneously, then prepare more of this setup.
- Alternatively, you can also use the oven rack to form the cheese shells. I always go with this method when preparing a lot of taco shells. Simply place the cheese on top of two sections of the rack and let the cheese cool.
- Use a spatula to pick up the cheese from the skillet. I find this the easiest way to remove the cheese. Or, you can also flip over the skillet and let the cheese fall out by itself onto a piece of parchment paper.
- Never reheat the cheese shells. Remember, they’re made of melted cheese. Reheating them will cause the cheese shells to melt, so it’s best to make just as much as you can eat.
How to Store the Tacos
You can make the cheese shells ahead and store them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. But as it was already previously mentioned, don’t try to reheat them after. Also, after storing the cheese shells in the fridge, they won’t be as crisp as they are right after freshly made.
Also, never freeze the cheese shells because they will lose their form. Since it’ll take you just 15 minutes in total to make such a dinner, you can make fresh tacos whenever you want to, and you won’t need much of your time to cook them.
Keto Cheese Shell Tacos
For the taco shells:
- 5 oz mozzarella or cheddar cheese
For the taco filling:
- ½ cup beef mince
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp pepper flakes
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ medium onion diced
- ½ cup napa cabbage chopped
- ½ avocado diced
- 3 large cherry tomatoes
- 3 tsp garlic cream sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place a non-stick skillet over medium-low heat as you divide the shredded mozzarella cheese into three equal portions.
- Then, evenly sprinkle one portion of the mozzarella cheese on the skillet and let it cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- When the bottom of the cheese turns brown, set the skillet aside for about half a minute to let it cool down a bit. Then, carefully remove the cheese with a plastic spatula and place it over a spoon or between two sections of the oven rack to form the shell.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 to make two more cheese taco shells.
- As the cheese hardens into taco shells, fry the beef mince in a skillet until thoroughly cooked. Add your choice of spices—mine were chili powder, pepper flakes, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- To make the sauce, simply take some heavy cream, mix in minced garlic cloves, and add some salt.
- Now it's finally time to make the tacos. Simply take a cheese taco shell and put chopped napa cabbage, fried beef mince, avocado, tomatoes, onion, and some chopped fresh parsley inside. Lastly, pour some sauce on top, and it's ready to serve!