These zucchini rolls are low-carb, insanely delicious, and unbelievably easy to make. In less than an hour, you can make these keto zucchini cream cheese roll-ups for a perfect and light dinner that your whole family will enjoy.
The zucchini rolls are packed with cream cheese, mozzarella, herbs, and marinara. As you might’ve already guessed, the roll-ups are made out of zucchini slices instead of the traditional lasagna noodles. Because of this, they’re perfectly suitable for those living a high-fat, low-carb life.
What I love about this keto zucchini roll-ups recipe is that it is freezer-friendly. So, you can make the roll-ups whenever you are in the mood to cook, freeze them, and reheat them when you want to serve the meal.
Here’s What You’ll Need
All of the ingredients used for this low-carb zucchini cream cheese roll-ups are entirely keto-friendly, healthy, and easy to find at any grocery store. Here’s a list of the ingredients that you’ll need:
- Zucchini. This the best possible low-carb alternative to the traditional lasagna sheets made of wheat flour.
- Cream cheese. This ingredient is the basis of the filling for these keto rolls. If you wish, you can substitute it with ricotta.
- Shredded mozzarella. The gooey melted cheese will only double the flavor of this meal.
- Egg. It is an essential ingredient for the zucchini roll-ups since it will hold the cheese together.
- Marinara. Your rolls won’t be the same without it. Marinara will add a few more carbs to the recipe, but the taste will be worth it. Just make sure to buy sugar-free marinara.
- Cooking spray oil. You’ll need it to spray on the zucchini slices before baking them. You can use either olive or avocado oil and spread it with a pastry brush over the zucchini slices. I chose the avocado one.
- Minced garlic. It combines perfectly with the cream cheese filling for the roll-ups.
- Fresh dill or parsley. I used dill this time. Previously, I’ve tried using parsley, and it works perfectly as well.
- Salt. Well, of course, it should also be included.
Aside from these main ingredients, there are a few optional ones that you can add. But keep in mind that if you make any changes to the recipe, the nutritional value of the meal will change.
I like to add some fried minced beef on top of the zucchini rolls. It ends up tasting more like lasagna. Also, you can try to add some parmesan, chopped onions, Italian seasoning, pepper flakes, and ground pepper.
How to Make Zucchini Rolls
This may seem like a complicated recipe, but the truth is, it’s insanely simple. You can even make the keto zucchini rolls with your kids as a fun way to spend your time together. Let me walk you through the main steps of cooking the zucchini rolls.
- Make the zucchini noodles. First of all, you’ll need to prepare your zucchini noodles for the roll-ups. You don’t need any special kitchen gadget for this. You can slice your zucchini with a knife, just like I did. But if you worry that you won’t be able to cut them thin enough, which is about ¼ inches, you can use a mandoline slicer for this job.
- Prep the noodles. Sprinkle the zucchini slices with salt and set them aside for about 10-15 minutes to release excess moisture. Then, spread a piece of parchment paper on your baking pan, place the zucchini slices, and using a pastry brush or cooking spray, evenly oil the slices. Roast them in the oven preheated to 375 F for 5-7 minutes until soft.
- Get the filling ready. For the keto zucchini rolls filling, simply combine all of the following ingredients: cream cheese, shredded mozzarella, chopped dill or parsley, minced garlic, an egg, and some salt.
- Assemble the zucchini rolls. First, pat the zucchini slices with paper towels to make sure that there is no excess moisture left on them. Then, place some filling on each zucchini slice, spread the filling, and roll up each slice. Spread some sugar-free marinara sauce over the bottom of your baking dish, place the zucchini rolls in the baking dish, add some more marinara on top of the rolls, and, lastly, sprinkle with some shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake the rolls. You’ll need to bake them in the oven for about 20-25 minutes. When you see the cheese melting, you are free to take the rolls out. Garnish with some chopped parsley or chives.
You can store the low-carb zucchini cream cheese rolls in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. You can serve them both warm or right from the fridge.
Also, you can make the roll-ups beforehand and freeze them. This way, you’ll always have a delicious keto-friendly dinner waiting for the right time in your freezer. I prefer to freeze the zucchini rolls uncooked so that they better preserve their taste. You can store them in your freezer for up to 3 months.
Have a hard time coming up with an idea for serving these zucchini rolls? Personally, I like to serve them with some kind of meat since this recipe has none. I usually go with one of the following options:
Keto Zucchini Cream Cheese Roll-Ups
- 2 medium zucchini
- 5 oz cream cheese
- 5 oz mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup sugar-free marinara sauce
- 3 tbsp fresh dill or parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- avocado cooking spray oil
- salt to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375 F. Cut the zucchini lengthwise into slices about ¼ inch thick. Place them on a baking pan lined with parchment paper, sprinkle with some salt, and spray with cooking oil. Bake for about 5-7 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine the cream cheese, shredded mozzarella, egg, minced garlic, fresh chopped dill or parsley, and some salt. Place some of the filling onto each of the zucchini slices and roll them up.
- Spread some marinara over the bottom of your baking pan. Place the zucchini rolls on the baking pan, add some more marinara on top of them and sprinkle with some cheese. Bake in an oven preheated to 400 F for about 20-25 minutes.
- Serve with some chopped parsley or chives.